Hope & Positivity

Monday, February 10, 2020

Everyone is a Hero!

Few days back I got the message from my club Bangalore Toastmaster Club's President, Deepika Das and she enquired of me that whether I can have my story related to the lines " Break your limits and find your freedom". Initially I could not understand the context. So she called me up and started asking few basic questions. I felt free to explain her in those lines.

 I explained her that I was born and brought up in smaller city and hindi and local language was always preferred language. I had been much influenced by local environment to my speaking local language. Even after passed out from school, my desire to improve my english speaking didn't happen. The affect of hindi continued in my speaking english. After passing out from Engg. college I was recruited in a company Tata Steel. Even i was working fine at the most familiar place, Jamshedpur which was not just familiar but also nearest to home town. After working in Production planning, I felt the need to work in marketing & sales function. I didn't see much growth in career and also wanted to get the flavour of business. 

I took the challenge and moved to Kolkata in marketing function. The journey of coming out from my comfort zone continued over the years working in different business function and challenging my status quo. During the journey,  one thing pulled me back was my communication skill. Many a times even I demonstrated my performance and leadership style but I was always given communication as an area of improvement. Even working in smaller cities I didn't find english speaking was common. However, as journey continued and I moved to Bangalore. I was coming from smaller city, Guwahati to Bangalore. I saw the people around me talking fluent english. I dindn't find comfortable myself. But I was keep on trying to improve upon myself. But results was not signigicant. In  July 2018, I knocked the door of Toastmaster and I kept on trying to experience with toasmaster. I kept on talking to people in English, taking roles and coming on the statge. This helped me to build my confidence and started seeing the difference in me. But still many miles to travel.

My journey was well crafted and presented by President in club meeting, hearing this I was zapped. I didn't expect that story of mine will be talk of the evening. I was made hero. I really felt special and honoured to be part of discussion as an inspiring story. 

I must thank her for making me special. I also thank people around me especially from Bangalore Toastmaster club. They are always ready to support and guide me. I am blessed to have Mr Robinson D'Souza as mentor who is always ready to pull me up and instill confidence in me. I heartfully acknowledge their effort towards me. I believe that in making a hero for yourself, right environment and right persons are needed to be surrounded. These spark our ability to make us hero.

One thing that struck me that she also highlighted that many people around us are hero in their own way but somehow we missed to acknowledge them. Rather seeking inspiration from great personalities, Winston Churchil or Mahatama Gandhi etc, inspiration can be find to the next door. Hence we must recognise those unsung heroes and bring them to front in eyes of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment